Home Shop Forum FAQ  

Forum Home | Pest Control Home
Start New Thread | Reply To Post
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
matty
2/24/2003 1:21:00 PM
nats or fruit flies?

I am currently having a problem with these little fruit flies or nats, is there a good organic pest control for them.
The Green Thumbs
2/25/2003 11:33:00 AM
Re: nats or fruit flies?

Chances are the problem are fungus gnats. The best thing to control and eliminate the problem is, unfortuneately for you, a non-organic control called Gnatrol: Gnatrol attacks the problem at the source, which is in the soil. Fungus gnat larvae are what can kill your plants, and they live in the soil and feed on your roots. I'm not really sure of an effective purely organic control, as most all of our customers use the Gnatrol. You could do some research on Gnatrol on the internet via a search engine (Google, etc) and see if you could use it to your satisfaction. I hope this helps.
Cris Emery
6/26/2003 7:58:00 AM

neem is an effective way of controlling fungus gnats.Typically neem is used as a foliar spray at 5-7mlper litre of water I have had excellent response from 15ml per litre directly into soil or other medium.
Because fungus gnats lay their eggs just below the soil surface near the roots,a full soil drench is not recomended, just enough to moisten their living area
As with any pest management program several applications will be neccesary, with ten day intervals
Fred
9/15/2003 8:17:00 AM

I would prefer to see you use Nematodes. They are a natural predator and will take care of your infestation while the flies are still in the pupae stage. Nematodes live in the soil to about 6 inches and will take care of eggs and pupae quickly.
The flies themselves have a very short lifespan. The nematodes will live for awhile after and will continue to control the gnat problem.
Monica
9/20/2004 1:38:00 PM

I am having a problem with these nats. They are all over my house but the problem is that there is no fruit or water anywhere so I have no idea where they are coming from or better yet how to kill them. Please help they are driving me CRAZY!
Green Thumb Garden
9/20/2004 1:52:00 PM

Monica
you have fungus gnats.Which live in your house plant's top 3 to 6 inches of soil.
The best thing to do is to use the product called gnatrol.This will kill all that are in the soil,An use the yellow bug stix to catch the ones that are flying around your home.

Monica
9/20/2004 3:30:00 PM

Me again I have no house plants in my house, I got rid of everything that I thought might cause the nats but no luck. Where else could they come from? Is the method you suggested still the best way? Thanks
Beverly
11/13/2004 11:20:00 AM

We are having a problem with nats and don't know why. We don't have any living plants in the house so where can they be coming from. We have tried fly spray and they still come back. What is the best way to kill them for good.
Jill
12/6/2004 11:53:00 AM

I have no house plants, or fruit in the house, we first started noticing them when our kitchen sink was leaking (a big leak). That problem has been solved for months now yet the nats are still here! We find them in the bathroom and kitchen mostly. Where would they be coming from, our basement has a dirt floor, could they be coming up through the heating vents? How can I get rid of them?
Dave
12/8/2004 5:40:00 PM

I found a nice non toxic solution for fungus nats on E-bay, Its a yellow sticky tube with peel of sheets and a shelf at the bottom. I cut a couple of pieces of an apple and set on the shelf to help draw the gnats to it. It took it about 2 weeks before I ran out of nats for it to catch.
If you don't find them on ebay they have a website for these Stick-a-Rounds at:
www.lmdco.com

© 2000-2024 Rick's Green Thumb Gardening, Inc.