My Account | Contact Us

Home Shop Forum FAQ  

Forum Home | General Home
Start New Thread | Reply To Post
Page 1 of 1
Doug
4/26/2003 3:28:00 PM
Strawberries and Tomatoes ?'s

I've got hydro strawberries and hydro tomatoes, but neither will fruit. They are the healthiest looking things ever. It seems my tomatoes won't produce pollen and my strawberries won't produce flowers.

Tomatoes are under a 250w hps 2 plants, 70 deg temp at night and 76-80 during the day. They are on a 12/12 light cycle at the moment, there are flowers, but no pollen on the flowers.

Strawberries are under a flourescent tray and they are on a 16 hr light cycle because 12 hr did not produce flowers, I don't know the variety. What to do?

Tomatoes are my concern, they are in the close and are huge! Just won't pollinate and produce!
r>helllppp...can I order pollen?
richard
4/26/2003 5:09:00 PM
Re: Strawberries and Tomatoes ?'s

when the tomatoe flowers curl backwards they should be ready to pollinate you will have to do this by hand, gently touch the flower and move your finger a little bit this should help to pollinate it,commericial growers use a vibrating device to do this, tomatoes grow up a string/twine and and the string is vibrated for a few minutes pollinateing all the tomatoes every day .i read about someone using an electric toothbrush to do this in a small greenhouse.hows the humidity, pollen is killed by water a very high humidity could be causing a pollination problem .you could move your tomatoes outside and let nature pollenate them and you would get better light for free,more tomatoes to lots more.
Matt
4/26/2003 6:21:00 PM

You could also use an oscillating fan. The fan will blow the pollen around, and act like wind.
Doug
4/26/2003 7:20:00 PM

The humididty is 35%

I don't get it...
Green Thumb Garden
4/29/2003 8:56:00 AM

Another problem you may be having is the temp. of the room is to high. Try cooling your room off more at night . I lived in Dallas, and while there I couldn'y get my tometoes to friut eigther because of flower drop caused by heat.

© 2000-2024 Rick's Green Thumb Gardening, Inc.