My Account | Contact Us

Home Shop Forum FAQ  

Forum Home | Plant Problems Home
Start New Thread | Reply To Post
Page 1 of 1
John T.
3/21/2004 3:15:00 PM
Purple Leaves

I use a hydroponic system with flora series nutrients and 1000w hps air cooled bulbs. My problem is my plants once put into flower never took off. They seemed to be stunted. Now in their 7th week a couple have died and more are wilting. Some top leaves turn purple and mid to lower foliage turns bright yellow. I had been using water through a softener and have been adjusting the PH accordingly. Any ideas?
mark
2/11/2005 9:24:00 AM
Re: Purple Leaves

Rise the roots by dipping them in a bucket of water or run fresh water with no nutrients through the medium. I have read where a little nutrients in your rise water removes the excess nutrients more efficently. Do this when you change the water weekly. This will rise the roots to eliminate the possiblity of toxic buildup of fertilizers(purple). Add a little epson salt to your solution. This will increase take up of nutrients while adding some Mg and Ca. this should get rid of the yellowing in the lower leaves by allowing beter uptake of nutrients. Make sure that no light enters the room during the dark phase.
Christopher
5/2/2006 10:05:37 PM
Re: Purple Leaves

MgSO4 combines with N at a pH under 5.8. Sounds like a pH issue to me. If that is not the case perhaps lack of oxygen to the roots, in which case I would add an air stone to your res.

© 2000-2024 Rick's Green Thumb Gardening, Inc.