My Account | Contact Us

Home Shop Forum FAQ  

Forum Home | Systems Home
Start New Thread | Reply To Post
Page 1 of 1
Chauncy
5/3/2004 9:07:00 PM
Basic Idea

Wow what a wealth of information on here. Everyone seems fluent in their craft. Which tells me I'm in the right place.

I'm starting a bubbler type system just as an experiment in order to become comfortable with hydroponics.

I've read alot on the net here but one thing I'm having trouble figuring out is this:

I'm growing plants from seeds sprouted in perlite and vermiculite, then I want to move the established plants into a net basket with clay balls in my bubbler.

Just what exactly is the best way to do this, should there be clay balls in the bottom of the basket first then place the roots on these and fill in the rest.

Any tricks learned through experience?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!
steve
5/17/2004 11:38:00 AM
Re: Basic Idea

if your roots are long its ok to let them poke through the basket and soround them with clay agraget. if the roots arent long enouph thats ok to put the plant in the basket with the clay agraget and bring the water level up to just below the basket the poping action of the bubles will splash tiny partacles of water on the clay keeping it moist and the roots will eventualy poke through. as the root grows you can lower the water level a litle bit. once the roots gets going good i like to leave half the root mass out of the water and the other hafe submerged. this causes the roots to be exposed to a lot of oxegen causing raped plant groth. hope this has been a litle bit of help.
steve
chauncy
5/17/2004 11:46:00 AM
Re: Basic Idea

Thanks Steve!

Its crystal clear now!

oh yes, is it absolutely crucial to test the Ph, I mean if everything is done right and my solution is mixed properly, the Ph should fall naturally in line? Also is algae very hard to combat?

© 2000-2024 Rick's Green Thumb Gardening, Inc.