Home Shop Forum FAQ  

Forum Home | General Home
Start New Thread | Reply To Post
Page 1 of 2
1 2
dianne
2/28/2003 10:34:00 PM
growing tomatos on tropical island

I recently moved to Saipan and discovered the only tomatos available are either very small local tomatos or the cardboard like store ones. The only success story I've heard is to grow hydroponically. So, I've been doing my research and have some questions.
Will the Emily's Garden 16 x 24 inch 6 pot system grow full size tomatos or only cherry tomatos?
Our tap water is brackish,so I'm assuming I'll need to buy bottled water for hydroponics. How much water could I expect to need per week to run the Emily's Garden system?
Thanks
The Green Thumbs
2/28/2003 11:51:00 PM
Re: growing tomatos on tropical island

When dealing with hydroponic tomatoes, there are 2 things you must first think about. First, there are 2 types of tomatoes: determinate tomatoes, and indeterminate tomatoes. Determinate means that the tomato vines will stop growing after they reach a certain length, where as the indeterminate will just keep growing and growing.

The second thing you need to think about is space. If you choose to grow indeterminate tomatoes, you will need to think up a space solution (if it is a problem in the first place). As you know, an Emily's Garden system is only 24 inches long, by 16 inches wide. If you are to grow tomatoes in this, you will desparately need to allow space. Out of the 6 available pots, I would recommend only using 2 or 3 of the pots, maximum. Hydroponic tomato plants will have a pretty good sized root mass, and your system space will decrease rapidly. I personally don't know if I would choose an Emily's Garden to grow hydroponic tomatoes in, as I would probably use something more spaced out, like some sort of a dutch pot system. But, if you don't have any space restrictions, the Emily's Garden might just work out for you after all. Let us know how you make out.

As far as water is concerned, you would probably use about 3-4 gallons every week, which could jump up to 5-7 gallons during heavy fruiting. I hope this helps.
dianne
3/4/2003 7:13:00 PM

Thanks for the reply, it helps a lot.

Space is not a problem for us, but you mentioned a dutch pot system might work better - what is that? I need something that I could move inside fairly easily during typhoons.

Also, with determinate tomatos, do the vines continue to flower and fruit after they stop blooming? Our climate is remarkably consistent - low to mid 80s all day and night all year long - so I'd like a plant that keeps producing for a while as long as it is well cared for.

Thanks again!
The Green Thumbs
3/5/2003 2:25:00 AM

A dutch pot system is kind of a general phrase for a homemade system, using dutch pots (an 8x8 inch pot with a drain a the bottom). But if you are looking for an easily transportable system, I think something smaller and premade would be better for you, much like the Emily's Garden like you suggested. All tomatoes will continue to grow, both indeterminate and determinate, as long as you let the "suckers" grow out. If you are not familiar with the term, these are the branches that grow from within the plant mass, not from out the top. Some growers like to keep their tomato plant somewhat groomed, and pinch off the sucker shoots. But if you let these grow out, you should keep getting more and more tomato flowers and fruit production.
Kevin
5/29/2003 2:13:00 AM

Hello Dianne,

I am also new to Saipan and have brought a large variety of tomato and other seeds with me. It is a real necessity for me to have fresh tomaotes. I am hoping to grow a great number of different plants from seeds to see if any varieties take to the conditions. I have mainly Italian style tomato seeds and those that are larger versions of cherry types that I heard did best on Saipan. I just rented a house in Papago this May and have just planted several and am waiting to see what happens. If you are interested, I would like to exchange information on the success or failures we are having and perhaps seeds, and techniques if one of us finds a solution. Have you started any hydroponic tomatoes? How are they doing? Write if you wish.
Hannah
8/21/2004 9:02:00 AM

Please tell me how to plant tomatoes and what do we need to plant it. Thanks
EVA
10/14/2004 10:22:00 PM

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
I HAVE SEED FROM TOMATO AND THIS TOMATO CAN GROW BIG FROM 1/2 KG DO 1 KG., AND LAVES IS BIG AND VERY STRONG SAME AS YOUNG TREE SOMEBODY SAID IT IS SOME SOUTH AFRICAN TOMATO, DO YOU KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THIS TOMATO, AND NAME AND THIS TOMATO IIS VERY BEAUTIFUL WITH NOT MANY SEEDS, AND NO RUNNING WATER OUT IT IS SOLID LIKE HAM, AND SOMEBODY TOLD ME THEY CALL HAM TOMATOES, BUT IT IS DIFFERENT THEN BULL HART TOMATOES.(IT IS BIGGER)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

KIND REGARDS
EVA
Selvaraj
11/8/2004 6:15:00 AM
Re: growing tomatos in india

Hi
What is the best hydroponic technic to grow tomatos in india
Antonio Portilla
12/13/2004 4:59:00 PM

I´m not in a Tropical Island but almost the best weather in the world. I live in Atlixco, Puebla; México
We have 20º all year with 90% sunny days.

I want to know if there is a Supply Wholesaler that can quote me a full 100 by 100 feet greenhouse totally full with controls, a dutch pot system with fertirrigation over the top.
I want to grow Organic tomatoes, next year.

So I have a very shhort deadline

Thank you so much
G.T.G.
12/18/2004 9:35:00 AM

I would go to Cropking's (www.cropking.com) web site. They will set you up completely. They will even put together a business plan for you to bring to a bank for $250.00 then take that off the purchase price. They have everything you need right down to packaging for shipping your produce.Good luck and feel free to e-mail us back to let us know how things go.

© 2000-2024 Rick's Green Thumb Gardening, Inc.