Home Shop Forum FAQ  

Forum Home | Pest Control Home
Start New Thread | Reply To Post
Page 3 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
hope
1/22/2006 9:01:25 PM
Re: nats or fruit flies?

the flies could be coming from your drains(sink,tub,ect.)i usually pour some bleach down them and let it sit for an hour or longer.
Laura
2/12/2006 11:54:39 PM

I have nats in my plants and I have read all of the other info. on this site and you say the best thing to use is gnatrol. Where might I be able to find it? Any store?
Samantha
2/20/2006 12:12:21 PM

I am writing a article for the school news paper about the nats that are around the school. They are upstairs and down stairs. I heard that they where coming from a locker downstairs that had some old food in it. I was just wondering if I could get some information about what they eat how long they live and waht can kill them. Thank you very much.
Samantha
2/21/2006 12:14:31 PM

I just read while doing some research for my article that pouring bleach down the drain is not effective... Here are some ideas that they gave on this website... The fruit fly larvae may feed on the sides of the drain and in the drain trap if there is an accumulation of organic debris there. You can check it by placing some tape over the opening (leave some opening for air flow). If you find these flies stuck to the tape, you have discovered the source. A bacterial digester like DF 5000 or Invade Bio Gel may be used to break up the organic debris. Hope this helps!
Rob Rios
6/18/2006 11:56:36 PM

I have house plants. I have had the fungus gnats now for a month or two...they are driving me crazy too! I never had this issue before where did they come from? Sometimes I stop watering my plants for days to see if that will help...but as soon as i water they come up from the surface and start flying around. Originally I had just 4 plants...never ever had gnats, then i went to my local armstrong nursery and bought 6 houseplants and new soil too. It was after that I had problems!!!
Matt
6/20/2006 6:26:29 AM

Unfortunately, gnats can come from just about anywhere. They definitely fit the true meaning of "pest". Rob, in your case, they most likely came from the new plants.

Really the best way to stop and kill them is with a combo of Gnatrol and Yellow Sticky Traps. You can find a link to Gnatrol in an above post on this page. I think there's a link to the Sticky Traps on the Gnatrol page too.
Carol
7/31/2006 5:36:40 PM

To rid any area of Nats....Fill a clear plastic bag with water. Tie the bag closed and hang in area of nats. You will have no more Nats! They have been using this method in Mexico for decades. Try it. It works.
Rachel
8/1/2006 10:48:35 PM

We just moved into a new apartment and when the movers left the door open they came in. I have lots of house plants and have read the previous posts. But I also have cats and they have a water fountain dish that is out. The pest control guy said to put bleach down the drains in every room with nats both before bed and again in the morning. Which for right now, seems to be mainly in the kitchen. Any other suggestions on how to get rid of these nasty little guys?
gail lynn
8/4/2006 7:23:40 PM

I have been using a shallow bowl filled with vinager, undeluted all over the house to "catch" these little nats and it has worked! Put vinager around the edge of the bowl as well for they love to just sit on the edge of the bowl before falling into the vinager. Kitchen and bathroom seem to be the place they like most but I think if you would let them, they would take over the whole house! Anyone out there with a better household remedie solution?
Stephanie
8/30/2006 9:19:53 PM

Hi Im also being driven crazy by those pesty NATS. I spray them with Fantastic. They spirral to the floor or counter and I get the greatest pleasure from watching them die. I will kill 40 - 50 leave the kitchen for 2-3 hours go back and sure enough they are back. WHERE ARE THEY COMING FROM WHAT CAN I DO!! I read someone post about bleach and blocking the drains. I guess I will try that. I also don't have any plants. I tell my nephews I am going hunting with my Fantanstic bottle they think I am nuts. NUTS from NATS. Help

© 2000-2024 Rick's Green Thumb Gardening, Inc.